Laird Launches New Wireless "Safe-E-Stop" for Emergency Shutdowns in Manufacturing, Automated Production Line Environments
Warren, OH – Seconds matter when it comes to manufacturing and production line mishaps that can injure workers or damage equipment, especially in heavily automated environments. According to OSHA nearly 5,000 workers were fatally injured in industrial accidents in 2015.
And, while hard-wired emergency-stop pushbuttons -- or “e-stops” – are the standard solution to shut-down a production or manufacturing line, the arrival of wireless control technology for e-stop buttons now allows mobility of the worker which translates to faster response time in the event of a line problem.
Laird (LRD: London) announced today that it has developed a wireless e-stop system -- Safe-E-Stop -- that can be integrated with existing hard-wired emergency stop systems for assembly lines and other production systems. It further enhances on-the-job safety by allowing an individual or group of operators to immediately shut-down a production line without having to run to a hard-wired e-stop station.
In some cases, the closest machine-mounted e-stop could be in the same danger zone created by the emergency. Rushing to the next available e-stop can also be a hazard and add precious seconds – if not minutes – to an emergency’s response time.
“We understand the critical importance of worker safety as well as the need for easy implementation for our customers,” said David Stagg, product manager for Laird Controls, part of the Wireless and Thermal Systems division of Laird. “Our new Safe-E-Stop system is a highly reliable, cost-effective wireless solution that can be easily integrated into existing hard-wired e-stop systems to save precious seconds to avert worker injury or even death, and equipment damage in the event of a crisis.”
- The system provides continuous status indicators with LED and LCD displays.
- The EtherNet/IP port on the Machine Safety Device (MSD) can be used to fully report the status of actuated wireless E-Stops to operations personnel.
- Up to five Personal Safety Devices (PSDs) can be simultaneously linked to the MSD, which permits multiple operators to work independently or collaboratively to oversee an operation or solve a problem.
- If an E-Stop on any of the linked PSDs is activated, the MSD commands a stop. All PSDs are immediately notified of the “stop” condition, the machine is shutdown, and the system identifies the PSD responsible for the stop.
- The PSDs have visual and haptic (vibration) warning systems for conditions such as low battery and low RF signal designed to allow workers to move about the area (within a 100m line-of-sight range of the MSD).
The system features:
- SIL 3 level protection
- Frequency bands 450, 915, and 433MHz supported
- PSDs include a rechargeable Li-ion battery with 12-hour operating life and two-hour rapid charge
- RJ45 EtherNet/IP port with Rockwell Automation supported AOP available on the MSD
For more information, visit www.wireless-estop.com.
Laird is a global technology company that enables mission-critical mobile connectivity through wireless applications and antenna systems, and components and solutions that protect electronics from electromagnetic interference and heat.
Products are supplied to all sectors of the electronics industry including Connected Transport, Connected Industry, Connected Medical, Telecom/Computing, and Mobile Device markets. Laird, a unit of Laird PLC, employs over 9,000 employees at more than 50 facilities in 19 countries worldwide.
For the latest news or more information, visit:
Lairdtech.com | twitter.com/lairdtech | facebook.com/lairdtech | linkedin.com/company/laird-technologies
© 2017 All rights reserved. Laird, Laird Technologies and the respective logos are trademarks owned by Laird PLC and/or Laird Technologies Inc., either directly or indirectly through one or more subsidiaries. Other products, logos, and company names mentioned herein, may be trademarks of their respective owners.
For more information, contact
Chris Cremer, Director of Sales
Chris.Cremer@lairdtech.com or 1-234-806-0060